Topic Tuesday: Highlight Palettes

I figured I'd do something a little different for the next couple Tuesday's. My eye is  very puffy right now and I don't know if I'll be wearing eye makeup at all the next couple of weeks... so I thought why not just discuss one single topic and just talk about it. There's a lot to talk about in The World of Makeup so... this is going to be a thing.

Do I have any? 
Yes! I'm a sucker for highlighters and face palettes... so when highlight palettes became a thing... I was excited. I only have 2 though because they aren't that practical. I have the Anastasia Beverly Hills Palette in Gleam and the Elf Illuminating Palette.

Why I don't love the idea of a highlight palette... 
Let's start with the cons before we get to the good stuff. It is very impractical, as I've said. $40 for 4 highlighters in the Anastasia palette seems like a great deal... but really it isn't. It is... but you don't really need 4 highlighters. They are all more or less the same colors and they look the same on your cheeks. They're slightly different... but really is it different enough to justify NEEDING 4... no. If anyone says "You Need This In Your Life" you don't... even if I say that lol. I love those highlighters and they are my favorites... but you really don't need all that many.

Also highlighters are very delicate... and I've seen people that order these palettes online and they come shattered and its like "Is this really worth $40 if it shatters so easily."

Keep in mind also... when they have holiday palettes or face palettes... a lot of times its a little different than their formula in their regular products. These highlights aren't claiming to be the same as their other highlights... but things like the Benefit Cheekathon palette sort of leads you to believe its the exact same as the regular benefit boxed powders... but they're a little different... so thats kind of disheartening I guess.

I'm not pointing any fingers, I don't totally know any of these things... but be suspicious when you see a good deal or a great value like that.

And its not like you'll ever hit pan on a highlight! So 4 is a little excessive.

Why I love them... 
A highlight palette just feels fancy to me. I like having the Anastasia one just because I like highlights and the idea of 4 highlights in one just appeals to me. And sometimes I'll mix them for a different looking highlight. If I just want to do a quick look, but I want options, I'll use this... its just nice! I really like it a lot!

The Anastasia Highlight Palette was special to me too because it was something I sort of treated myself too. It wasn't just an impulse buy... I waited till around Valentine's day and I said "I'm getting this for myself for Valentine's Day." And thats sort of a special thing. I could have waited for a sale or something... but I wanted to treat myself!

And sometimes I do think it might be better to have highlights in a palette because its more secure. I know Mary Loumanizer shatters very easily, but in palettes it is probably at least a little more secure.

Are there too many? 
One of the reasons why I wanted to talk about them was that there are so many now! This was kind of unique before... but now there are lots of different brands coming out with them. Anastasia has 5 now I think. Makeup Geek is coming out with one in collaboration with Kathleenlights, Hourglass, Violet Voss, just so many things.

Should You Buy Them? 
Yes and no... I don't think anyone needs all of them. There are sooo many now and it is really kind  of a gimmick. I kind  of want a second Anastasia palette... but then its like "okay so thats $80 for 4 highlights" you know what I mean? I'm happy with what I have... I want more but sometimes you just need to want things vs buying them and I think highlight palettes are a good example of that. They're fancy and pretty and shiny... but you don't need them all! Resist! Resist!

Byeeee!
-Shannon

Comments