Nail Review: Formula X by Sephora: The Clix Mix and Match Light Review

Recently I got the Formula X little mini set for light skintones and I thought I would do a little review of it. The only color I haven't tried from the set yet is the red color, which I really love the color of, it is absolutely gorgeous and I'm really excited for that one. Red is kind of a bold nail color though and I didn't want to wear it before my graduation cause I was sure it would stain my nails.

Anyway I got this during the VIB Sale. I was really excited because I've heard nothing but good things about the Formula X nail polishes and these were nice colors and there were 2 really neutral ones I thought I could wear for graduation and they'd be really good... plus I love the dark deep red it has in there and the light mint green/blue color... it just had a lot of pretty colors and I was excited to try them all. 

You can kind of tell there is a but coming up right? Cause there is lol. 

I wasn't wowed by the formula! It was pretty opaque with one coat... but it really wasn't completely opaque, at least with the lighter colors and then when you go over it a second time... its a little goopy. It is a very thick formula which makes it a little harder to build on the nail. 

The one thing I find kind of a big flaw is the size of the brushes. Because these are such small polishes, they have really small brushes that don't exactly work all that well with the formula. It makes it a little hard to go over the entire nail, so there are some tiny like bald spaces on the corners of the nail especially. And that bothers me a little bit. And if you do layer it over a few times, it chips and peels off wayyy more easily. I did that for my graduation nail look, and it didn't chip from the time I did it till the time I graduated... but it did chip a little after and a couple nights after it just kind of peeled off. It peeled off easily and the blue didn't stain my nails at all, which is really nice, but it isn't totally what you want. Especially from such an expensive nail polish brand. 

Another con about this is that its very small. This might actually be a pro or a con. Its a pro because you will use it up. I'm almost done with a couple of shades just cause I used a lot since its a trickier formula, I have to wipe off and reapply the color. I have a bigger Nail polish collection, so I feel like its kind of worth it to buy something that I will actually use up. So I'm happy about that. 

It is also not the most difficult to work with if you really try it. I was just kind of half assing my nails and it didn't look great... but if I actually take the time to carefully do it, its a little less tricky. It isn't amazing though, its not fool proof at all. 

The light colors also didn't suck. There are lots of light colors I have that I can't even work with because they're just absolutely terrible, not workable at all and just a pain in the ass to use. These are actually good and you can use the light colors. So that is a big pro of the kit too. 

I'm going to apply the dark red color... kind of half assed and see what its like. Okay that was wayyy better. That is a color I can just kind of put on when I'm on my bed and apply easily... one coater for sure and its beautiful! Really nice color! I just have it on my pinky finger. But its really good. There is a little bit of a "bald spot" on the side of my nail... but nothing too bad. I'm gonna see what happens with a second coat... even though this is a one coater. Yeah. That works well. This formula doesn't seem as thick... which I guess makes sense for a dark formula. This one is really good and I'm digging it! 

I also think that these come in such great color selections. I think its cool that it comes in different colors for different skin types... which of corse, you don't have to use. Any color you like would work and they would all look good on any skin tone. The nude shades might be something different, but they're good. Plus these are so great to have in any collection. A good nude shade, a good pink, a good blueish mint and a really good red. Like none of these suck and I don't personally have any nudes, I have one good light blue, but its different than this and one good light pink, but this is a different enough color to justify both. The red is different than a lot of other reds I have because its like an oxblood. Really dark, but definitely not a plum. The red from Color Clubs' Christmas Collection is my favorite red but that is almost plumy. This is more of a true dark red. The red is also really glossy and dries pretty fast! 

So I don't really recommend this set 100 percent. If you're good with working with Nail Polish and you don't mind a short brush, this might be something you would like. If you don't have these particular colors in your collection, its really good... if you just like the colors then hey why not buy it... But its not the best deal because you are getting such small polishes and they aren't completely fool proof. I think there are a lot of AMAZING polishes from the drugstore and definitely more affordable than this that I like better... so the set, idk if its really worth it. Would I try another Formula X Polish... yes. I'd try one of their glitters or glitter top coats... I would try a darker color, when I finish up the red shade, which is called Ignite, I probably will repurchase that. I also kind of want to try the sheer formula of these. These are hard to build up, but with a sheer polish, that isn't why you're using it. So I think that would be cool. 

So yeah... I'm not sure if Formula X is worth the hype... I kind of think its partially because the brush on these are so damn small... but these are not my favorite, and there are better full sized nail polishes from the drugstore for a much more reasonable price than this... so take that into consideration also! 

Byeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments