Elf Reviews/First Impressions : Mad for Matte Palette, Acne Fighting Gel, Moisturizing Lipsticks and Blending Brush

Heyyy guys!!! So here are some first impressions/ reviews on some one brand new elf product and some that are more new to me. They recently did a free shipping deal and they had a bunch of things on sale for a dollar... so I did that for this purchase. I already included these in a haul, but I wanted to do reviews on these anyway, because aside from one thing, these are new products for me and I'm excited about them all... so lets do this thing! Lol.

lol elf packages come in big big containers and I only got a few things!



Mad For Matte Palette 

First Swatch Impression 
This is something I was really excited about. Elf came out with a bunch of new eyeshadow palettes. They have a neutral one, a matte one, a "party one" and a smokey one. I was most intrigued by the matte one because I kind of wanted a nice matte palette that I can travel with and use with colourpop eyeshadows. Colourpop does make matte shadows that you can use in the crease... it isn't all that easy for me though, so I tend to stay away from mattes unless its in a set. But anyway, this seems like something that you could easily create a completely matte look with, or you could pop a matte shade in the crease or the browbone, inner corner or even cheekbones if you fancy. Lol. It looked nice. 

And it swatches really nicely too! The colors are all really pigmented, not chalky at all. None of the shades are too similar in color, which can happen with a lot of matte palettes. I'll show a pic of the swatches here... not too great lighting, but they're all very true to color for what the palette looks like. 


These are also dupes for the matte row in the original Lorac Pro Palette. EmilyNoel83 said the same thing, and she's thinking of doing a video with one side from the lorac and one from the elf. I'm probably not going to do that, but I can tell you there are dupes for Cream, Lt. Pink, Taupe, Sable, Espresso, black, and mauve... basically all the colors lol. So if you have the original lorac, this isn't something you totally need... but if you're like me and just want a compact all matte palette to use with other single shadows, this is a good companion palette. 

Packaging 
I also like the packaging a lot! Like I mentioned, the sleek compact-ness kind of sold me on this one. There is also a good sized mirror in here. Its in their matte-black packaging (nars-esque) and, unlike the Prism Palettes, it actually says the name under the elf logo... which makes it really easy.



Its the same exact size as the prism palettes. The Mirror looks a little bigger to me... and there are 6 shades in the prism palette and 10 shades in the matte palette... so thats good. These would be good companion palettes too since the Prism Palettes have no matte shades.




Wearing it on the eyes... 

I'm gonna be a little shorter with the other reviews than this since they're all older products... but this I wanted to be thorough on because $10 for 10 shadows is a great deal... especially if these are as great as the prism shadows, which I love. 


Application was super easy. It blended amazingly well, I honestly like it better than some high end matte palettes that I have actually. I didn't like the look I did a few days ago with just the matte shadows in the original Lorac Pro palette. Those shades are amazing, but idk. I didn't love the way the look turned out. For this look I used (I'm just going to call the shadows the numbers they are in the palette to avoid confusion.) 4 all over the lid, 5 in the crease, 6 in the outer corner and 2 as an inner corner and browbone highlight. I was really impressed with the pigmentation and the way it blended. Not a lot of fallout. And it looks pretty much the same as I applied it now as it did when I first applied it so, thats really good. I'm probably going to work out and see how it holds up, cause I like doing that. Lol. And just so you guys know, I used the Lorac Behind The Scenes Primer.

(also wearing the Coaral Cutie lipstick) 

Post workout it held up fairly good too! It wasn't all over the place. I don't have very oily eyelids, but its rare for me to sweat a bunch and still have it on and looking okay enough to go out in public after. I didn't go out in public after... but I probably could have, it didn't look bad at all!

And I did try it with colourpop shadows and I wore it out in the heat and... its good stuff! Stayed on really nicely, easy to use... this is probably my favorite palette from the drugstore that I have! I haven't heard good things about their other palettes like this... but this one is really really good! I highly recommend it!

Funniest thing too: On the BeautyBuzz's channel she always does a weekly favorites and fails and this week she mentioned the Elf Sunset Prism Palette as a fail and I commented saying I really loved it... its not super easy to work with, but it isn't hard to work with and I totally understood it not working for some people because I feel like everyone loves the L'oreal La Palettes and they didn't work that well for me. She commented back saying that it was pretty much the opposite for her because she loves the La Palettes. Make Up is funny right? Lol.

Moisturizing Lipsticks 

I had never seen these in store, but I've heard great reviews on them, and I was so excited when they were on sale for a dollar. Right after ordering these, I saw them in the Elf section of my target, so I did buy 2 more shades that I didn't get online. So all total I have Ravishing Rose, Red Carpet, Coral Cutie, and Rosey Go Round. 

These are really nice. Its a creamy formula with a pleasant smell., Theres a little thing on the bottom with a lip balm of these, which is cool. They're pigmented... they aren't that long wearing but they aren't drying at all. They don't really feel like a lip balm because they're heavier than like a Revlon Lip Butter or something like that, but they're really creamy and smooth. These aren't anything like a babylips where you can just put it on without a mirror because these can kind of feather outside the lipline. I may try to wear a lipliner or something underneath... that slightly defeats the purpose of them being moisturizing... but if I were really afraid of feathering, thats what I would do. Which these don't really feather, but applying it to the bottom lip is a little tricky and it feels like it can fall off or something. 

They're all pretty true to color on the lips as they are in the tube, but the Red and Corals are a little big lighter. The coral I think is just cause my lip color is a little more purple-y but its still super pretty on. I think these feel almost like the Bite Beauty Lucious Cream Lipsticks. Which is saying a lot for a $1 lipstick! 


Professional Eye Blending Brush 

Weirdly, this is the one thing I was like "I don't need to talk about. I already use it, love it and recommended it... I don't need to mention this right?" Wrong. It looks and feels completely different than my other one! This is a little more prickly and the shape seems a little different. Maybe its just because I didn't wash it yet and the other one I've used a lot... but thats really weird. I don't ever remember the other one being like that. Idk if they changed it or not. Idk if this was different cause one was from online and the other was probably a store... not sure, it was a giveaway gift... but yeah. Its weird that these are totally different right? 

Now I'll test it and use one brush on one side and the other on the other. It was pretty much the same. I thought this new one maybe applied pigment better and the other one was a little easier to blend with. The other is a little softer... but nothing drastically different. It didn't hurt my eye or poke it at all, but it might be softer after washing it. 


Acne Fighting Gel 

This is cool because its a little rollerball that you can put on a breakout to make it go away. This also has aloe, so its conditioning too!

It felt nice going on, it didn't sting or anything it just felt normal and it did help the breakouts go down a little bit, so thats pretty awesome! I don't think it completely went away, but it helped with the redness, so thats pretty good! I don't get breakouts all that often... but this was $1 and its worth it. Its probably regularly $3 and I'd still say that is worth it. Its good.

So yeah that is everything. Hope you guys found this helpful! I'm a big fan of Elf in general. I feel like they've been stepping up their game a ton lately and these are all just great, affordable products!

Byeee!
-Shannon 


Comments