Cruelty Free Make Up?

My sister and I were recently talking about cruelty free make up and specifically if the little bunny is on the package. Here's what I learned:

-A lot of my favorite brands are in fact Cruelty Free.
-Some brands are not cruelty free
-China requires that their products be tested on animals, therefore if its sold in China, its not cruelty free. This includes the Sephora China website.
- There are actually a lot of drugstore brands that are cruelty free.
-It seems that if you want good cruelty free drugstore brands, Wall Mart has quite a few. Ulta also carries a lot of cruelty free brands and it seems Sephora is also.

So the thing that started this conversation of sorts was that my sister started using Bare Minerals, which she believed to be cruelty free, but there is no bunny on the labels saying that it is cruelty free. I decided to look up "Cruelty Free Make Up Brands" just to see what would come up. This Blog which is fantastic btw... mentioned that yes Bare Minerals and Bare Essentials are cruelty free lines, however they are owned by Sheseido, which is not a cruelty free company. I don't think the list said Buxum... but I think Buxum is also owned by that company... so maybe it is?

There are brands like Urban Decay and Nyx on the list also. These are both great cruelty-free brands... but they are both owned by L'oreal... and in fact I think these were both somewhat recently purchased by L'oreal. Right now, these are both still Cruelty-Free brands and I think they will remain that way. What bothers me about L'oreal and part of what intrigued me into this "cruelty free" quest was a blurb on Maybeline's facebook page saying that L'oreal was the #1 leading company in ending animal testing and that they are trying to end animal testing... yet I have several newer products from L'oreal and Maybeline and they do not say that they haven't been tested on animals... meaning they were tested on animals and they probably sell in China. Does this make me not want to buy them anymore... I'm conflicted. It upsets me that they're testing on animals and that they're lying on this facebook page... but at the same time there is little that helps moisturize my hair and these L'oreal shampoos and hair products are the best most affordable products that have helped... so I probably will continue to use them.

I've tried a lot of the brands mentioned. It Cosmetics (not on the list, but they are an amazing cruelty free brand), Too Faced, Urban Decay, Nyx, Milani, Coastal Scents, Bite Beauty, Freeman, Kat Von D, Burt's Bee's, Physician's Formula and even Elf! Some other affordable brands I was surprised to see were Makeup Geek, Hard Candy (this one shocked me), BH Cosmetics, and Sonia Kashuk are all cruelty free.

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian.  I think its kind of dumb when there's a vegan leather jacket in a store because even though it might not be made from a cow... it was probably made by some slave kid in a third world country because that is what happens in America... but honestly I think a lot of the brands that don't test on animals are superior anyway... so its like why do they need to test on animals? I probably won't ever only just buy Cruelty Free products... but since I kind of prefer the cruelty free products anyway I feel like i should focus more on those at least.

I just think this is something interesting to look into and I was curious to learn more about it. I don't know what exactly happens to animals while animal testing... but It Cosmetics is great. I love my Freeman Masks a thousand times more than glamglow (not cruelty free), Too Faced and Urban Decay have 2 of my favorite palettes, my favorite lip products come from Bite Beauty, Nyx and Buxum, Physicians formula has great mascara... and Milani is a good company also... so yeah.

If you'd like me to do a follow up or talk about any brands in like a "fun fact" sort of way.... let me know!

Byeeee!
-Shannon

Comments