Review: Maybeline Master Prime Blur + Illuminate Primer

I was so excited when this came out! I really liked the Maybeline Babyskin primer, and I think this one might be even better for me. I have dry skin, I like to glow, so this is right up my alley with that!

On the back the claims are: Blurs tone  imperfections and smooths skin surface, primes skin for an illuminated start, lightweight and non oily formula, and does not clog pores... These are some bold claims. It doesn't claim to extend the wear of make up. It also contains SPF 30, which is pretty good.

I applied this to my hand and saw it was very illuminated. It looks like there is a bit of a sheen to it. After using it once I can say I don't think it appeared glittery on the skin once blended out, but thats something to keep aware of.

This says you can wear it under make up or on its own... I wouldn't wear this as a foundation or anything because its a very light color and its got that sheen to it... you can kind of wear it as a highlight, but compared to something like Benefit Watt's Up... it isn't quite as good. I think maybe this would be a good highlight on darker skin tones, but I'm quite pale right now.

So I love this as a primer, I have to say, I think all the claims of it are true. I think it does minimize the appearance of pores, I like it better than Benefit's Porefessional. It does add a nice glow to the skin because it does have that little bit of sparkle to it almost, but it isn't like disco ball status. It looks super super natural on the skin. It really helps foundations glide on really nicely. I used it underneath Covergirl's Ready Set Gorgeous foundation, which is slightly more matte than what I'm used to... and it just worked perfectly. It smoothed out my skin and it really helped it to look illuminated, perfected and smooth. Which I really liked.

I haven't tried it with the Rimmel Stay Matte or anything that is a truly matte foundation because my skin is very dry right now, I get dry patches around my chin... and thats something most foundations cling to anyway no matter what primer I use, so this wouldn't exactly help that case. I want to try the Maybeline Fit Me Matte foundation because I've heard thats a nice matte for dryer skin and I think this would work well under that.

And I've heard the formula of these compared to one of the Smashbox primers... I'm not exactly sure which one, but Hollieeatslipstick on youtube did a full review on it and she compares it. There are 3 different formulas of this primer, Hollie said the original is really great also. That one probably blurs out things the most. They have one thats supposed to control redness, and I've heard that one really doesn't do that... but it still has the same formula as this primer, so it still works well as a primer I guess.

And I'm not exactly sure that this claims to extend the wear of your make up, but I feel like, at least for dry skin in the winter time, any primer helps that. For a lot of people's skin, they say primers that are more for blurring don't really extend the wear of anything. I just think it doesn't hurt the wear of your make up, and in my case it usually does help.

One other random funny thing I just sort of noticed, when I first used the Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous, I didn't really like the way it looked with any primers. I just thought it worked pretty well on its own and that a primer just made it a little worse looking... but it looks really natural and nice with this primer, so that kind of makes me reach for that foundation a little more... which I'm happy with. I like that foundation a lot, but I like wearing primers too. So yeah.

And I don't think this claims to hydrate or anything... and I've never really tried any super hydrating primers like the Too Faced one, but this feels good. Its not like a moisturizer or anything like that... but idk. It isn't drying or anything, so thats always a plus.

So yeah that is everything in this long review! Lol hope you liked it. This is definitely a favorite product of mine... kind of think its a holy grail. I've tried the Maybeline Baby Skin, Benefit Porefessional and Rimmel Stay Matte, and I think this is my favorite. I love using the Rimmel Stay Matte with dewier BB Creams, as I've mentioned thousands of times... but this one is my favorite for most other products.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments