Battle of BB Creams: Smashbox, Olay Fresh Effects + Rimmel Radiance

Heyyy guys! I'm a big fan of BB Creams, I use them more often than I use foundation I would say. I haven't tried all that many... but here are 3 I've tried and I really like all of them.

I have talked about the Olay Fresh Effects many times before, but I'll mention it again. It isn't very full coverage at all, but it perfects and moisturizes the face. It probably is more of a tinted moisturizer than an actual BB Cream, but it works really nicely on my skin at least. I have dry skin, this gives it a nice glow with some sheer coverage. If its hot out it gets a little oily, and I don't think it lasts quite as long that way... so I usually use the Rimmel Stay Matte along with it so that it stays a little better... and I think this combo is absolutely perfect. It just looks like really nice healthy skin. Its brighter, but still pretty matte and its just really good. This says it has a primer in it... I think that just means the sunscreen or moisturizer because like I said it doesn't stay very well on its own. Idk if I'd recommend this for oily skin, but for dry skin this is great. I also think this only comes in 3 shades... so that is a drawback.

One random thing about BB Creams that is worth mentioning: They probably aren't the best for sensitive or oily skin. My friend has very sensitive skin thats really oily and the SPF bothers her a lot. I think she only uses baby sunscreen with a high SPF on her face because it is really sensitive and she won't buy any moisturizers, foundations or bb creams with SPF... so thats something of note.

Back to the BB Creams, one from the drugstore that has a little more coverage is the Rimmel BB Cream. They have a few different formulas for this, a regular, matte and radiant. I've only tried the Radiant and its a little odd. At first I was not a fan because it was a little cakey looking. It did get a bit of a glow... but it wasn't the most natural looking BB Creams. It takes kind of a lot to get this to look normal I think. At first I was dotting it all over my face and then using my fingers... then I thought using a foundation brush was better, but I noticed some patchyness around the nose. Maybe I just didn't get that area... idk. I think its more yellow toned, I've heard reports of it turning orange on people... I didn't have that problem really, but it isn't as light as I am really. And I'm pretty sure I have the lightest shade.

A lot of times with powder and a setting spray this works really well and looks natural... its a bit high maintenance, but it can look really good at times too. I'm not quite sure what to think of it honestly lol. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I'll continue to use it and I'll probably like it... but idk if its the best BB Cream there is and I'm not sure I'd repurchase it or anything. It does look nice, but if you're buying this as a BB Cream... just no it isn't as easy to use as most BB Creams... that could just be me... but keep that in mind.

And my favorite is the only High End BB Cream I have: The Smashbox Photo ready. This is an easy BB Cream to use and its actually a nice coverage. And it isn't extremely dewy looking or anything. Its a nice satin finish actually. It looks really nice and natural on the skin. It isn't full coverage, but its really nice. I use this alone most of the time, I've also used it with my Maybeline Illuminating Primer to have a nice glow to it. What impresses me the most about this is that it actually does blur pores and imperfections. I think this and the Rimmel BB Cream are more true to the actual claims that they have. This one is just the best. I kind of want to try more Smashbox things just because this works so nicely. I am so happy I bought that kit that had this in it because I never would have tried this otherwise and its so good.

Also I know this has a pretty good shade selection. I think the Rimmel one does too. These are all good for different reasons. I think the Smashbox one would work for both dry and oily skin and its quick and easy to use and nice coverage for a BB Cream. The Rimmel one is pretty similar to the Smashbox, its just not quite as easy to use. And the Olay Fresh Effects is a good No-Makeup Makeup look that looks really nice on the skin, even though the coverage isn't the best. My favorite would probably be the Smashbox, but the Rimmel one is also kind of a holy grail product for me.

Hopefully this was helpful! Let me know if there are any other BB or CC creams I should try!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments