Things I like about Brands: Drugstore Make Up

So today's blog is going to be a little different and probably a little boring... but thats okay lol. I'm just going to say some things I like about particular beauty brands that I've really been liking. I might do these every once and a while with beauty brands and maybe some fashion and other brands? Idk really, but I just thought if you're new to make up, don't know what to buy... this is a good start to learn.

Rimmel 

Rimmel is a great brand because I feel like its the best of the super affordable brands. Its usually just a little more expensive than Wet n Wild and a little cheaper than Maybeline. And this brand is good because they have a good selection of products that are really affordable. You can get an entire full face of make up from this brand and it would look comparable to a full face of make up you can get from a high end brand. They have good foundations, bb creams, primers, eyeliner, eye palettes, lip products... you can find a lot here. Their Stay Blushed Blushes are hard for me to find, but I was sent one from influenster and its really good. I think this brand is a winner. I use something from this brand pretty much every day... mostly their Stay Matte Primer, which I love for dewy BB Creams and their eyeliners.

L'oreal 

I feel like L'oreal is the closest to a high end brand you can find at the drugstore and really their foundations have something for everyone. They have the regular true match, but if you have dryer skin they have the true match lumi, which come in lots of shades, so you can find a good shade match from this brand. They have foundations for more mature skin also, which is something you don't see often. They have amazing mascaras. Their infallible shadows are also really long wearing. This is a brand I use pretty much every day also, mainly for their mascaras. Really good brand.

NYX 

Nyx is another brand I think is very comparable to high end brands, and they have palettes that aren't really just as good as high end brands, but they're still pretty good. They have a lot of palettes too, so there is pretty much a choice for everyone. I always feel overwhelmed by the Nyx display because they have sooo soo many things like single eyeshadows, palettes, blushes, lipsticks, their butter glosses... they have sooo many brow products that I hear are really good too. They are also a cruelty free brand which I think is awesome.

ELF 

Elf is a brand I've just bought a lot of things from, and again I feel like they may be lacking in their face products... from what I've heard there's nothing as far as foundation or concealers go that are any good... but their powder products are super pigmented. They also have really nice brushes and amazing eyeshadows that could compete with high end. I don't have any of the Prism palettes... but I have seen them swatched and they look SO NICE! I saw it at Old Navy (weird right?) and I think I'm going to pick it up. I either have an elf collection post up or I am going to post it soon... so look out for that. And really this was how I got into blushes and stuff was just from spending as little money as possible on blush. You could totally start with Elf's powder products and brushes if you are just starting with make up and you want to see how it applies and stuff. Actually I think the baked blushes worked really good for me when I started out applying blush because they're hard and you can't really cake it on or anything. So yeah. It seems like it won't be good because its so inexpensive... but it is worth it for sure!

Ohhh and their matte lipstick is seriously the most comfortable matte ever!

Maybeline 

Maybeline is another brand that I kind of started out with. I love their babyskin primer and I LOVE their newest primers in the Illumination version. I don't think I've ever tried their foundations, I know I've tried a BB Cream from them... but again they're good because they have something for every skin type too now. They have a lot of shades of their Fit Me foundation and now they have 3 different versions of that I think, so thats cool. I've heard really good things about their new matte foundation, but I have dry skin, so its not for me. I will probably try their original sometime... but I have a lot of foundations right now and I usually reach for a BB Cream instead. They have good eyeshadows that are really longwearing. I also love that they have released palettes now! Nyx has palettes, but Nyx wasn't always as readily available as Maybeline is, so the fact that they have palettes is really awesome. They also really follow the trends and kind of set trends too. I love that they have the vivids line along with the mattes, the nudes and the plums for their lipsticks. And... yeah they see how popular matte shades are becoming so they come out with matte color tattoos, matte foundations and matte lipsticks all within a few months. Thats really good! And the babylips from them are surprisingly pigmented and hydrating... so that is pretty cool!



I haven't tried much from Milani, but it seems they've been releasing so many new things that I've heard mostly good things about. I really love their Bella eyeshadows... they have good lipglosses as well, although I did get a bad batch of the Liquid Intense lipsticks which kind of made me not like shopping at the drugstore for lipstick... I really liked the color and everything. Plus they have nice glosses too. I've heard nothing but good things about their blushes... and I think their known for their brow products also, so that is all cool! I feel like this brand is similar to Too Faced... just from the shadows and lip products I've tried I feel like you can probably find a lot of Too Faced dupes within this collection.

Also cruelty free I believe!

Wet N Wild 

Their eyeshadows are so pigmented for such an affordable price! They also last such a long time and are just so nice and easy to use. I've heard bad things about their mascaras and some of their foundations and stuff... I've heard amazing things about their lipsticks and blushes and they are a good brand. They always have really good collections seasonally too. I think they're pretty great... and for the price they are a STEAL!

NYC 

I love the NYC Lipsticks. I think their cityproof twistable lip colors are super easy to apply and pigmented and just great. I like their eyeshadows, they aren't the best but they get the job done and their expert last lipsticks are good too. The packaging sucks on all these, but they're easy to apply, pigmented and just pretty great overall. Haven't tried too much from the brand, but they have good stuff. I think the brand is kind of aimed at the "girl on the go" in the city, and I think their products go with that.

Physicians Formula 

Wayyy overpriced for drugstore in my opinion, but they do have good stuff. Their green tube mascara is really good, their shimmer strips are good and I really like the nude wear concealer. I just used that again recently and I forgot how much I liked it, I need to repurchase sometime soon. I also like that the brand was made by a pharmacist who's wife was allergic to talc or something like that. Its a good idea and I like it.

Revlon 

I really only have Revlon Lip products... but that seems to be their thing! They always have cool collections and new products and good seasonal collections as well. So yeah, they're good. Plus everyone raves about Revlon Colorstay... I've never tried it! I think I will in the near future, but idk. Their matte balms are also really comfortable, which is hard to find.


Comments