Makeup Tips For Beginners

So this is just tips for someone who's just like "Hey... maybe I'll try some makeup soon." Products that work well, things I did, things I wish I'd known about or wish had been invented... just little things.

1) For Eyes Start With Cream Shadow 
This is my first experience with eyeshadow at all. I didn't know anything about wearing more than one color or what a crease was, what an inner or outer corner was... but I liked using Cream shadow because it is just something you can put all over the lid, it acts as a primer and some color. I think my favorites are Elf Smudge Pots... Revlon just came out with good ones too. It's really nice and easy. I prefer the pot formula to the crayon formula or liquid formula... just because I think the cream shadows on the market are better. Liquid is a little messy for beginners. Rimmel Magnific'eyes are the only stick form I'd really recommend... but I don't think that those are easy to find... so I would just stick with the Elf Smudgepots.

2) Know Your Skin Type 
Do foundations wear off quickly on you and your forehead looks a little sweaty throughout the day? You probably have oily skin. Does foundation look kind of like a statue on you and just look very clingy? Then you probably have dry skin. You could also have normal skin or combo skin if you notice nothing really with these. If you know you have very oily or acne prone skin and you still have flakey or clingy foundation, your skin might be dehydrated.

              A. Use Foundation for your skin type! 
              Oily Skin- Matte Foundation. L'oreal Infallible will work nicely on you... generally you want         the word "Matte" in the foundation somewhere. Dry Skin- Look for the word luminous. Maybe a BB Cream would work better... really either way, especially for beginners. BB Creams are very light coverage, so they're a little more fool proof... but SPF can be sensitive for some people... which brings me to my next point...

              B. Be attention to what's happening to your skin
If you're new to foundation it might break you out... it could be SPF or one of the ingredients... if you have sensitive skin... just be careful with your foundation and pay attention to what your skin is telling you.

3) Tinted Lip Balms are your friend 
There are soooo many tinted lip balms out there and those are really great for beginners or students. They're just a nice wash of color, fool proof, won't get on your teeth and its easy to reapply... probably don't even need a mirror. So nice. I've told this story a lot, but I used to take an Improv class for college... and I had an hour and a half commute to the college... I would usually get ready within 5 minutes... I'd eat before class... plus it was a class where you have to do a lot of talking and you do scenes with people pretty close to you... these are perfect because I didn't like getting anything on my teeth... I didn't mind reapplying because it was so easy and it just went in my purse and moisturized at the same time. It was just a nice, easy tiny bit of color.

4) Eyeshadow Look 
Primer, Light color on the lid, matte color in the crease, dark color on the outer corner. Light color inner corner and light color on the browbone. That was my look for when I was in Improv class... and its still for the most part the only thing I do.

5) Elf Products! 
I didn't really know how to use Blush or Highlight when I started out... so I got a $3 eld baked blush and then I saw the elf highlights after... and I ended up getting all of them... and I still have those highlights. The blush kind of broke and then I got better ones... my favorites are still drugstore... but I wouldn't try to go too much outside of the $3 range for when you're beginning. Covergirl has great blushes in their Cheekers line that are really great. If you want more of a range and some highlights included, Makeup Revolution has blush palettes that are $10 and have a bunch of blushes with a couple of highlights.

Also Elf has really good brushes if you're just starting out. These are very accessible products too. Pretty much every drugstore has elf, some dollar stores carry elf, Old Navy, some colleges even have Elf in their bookstores... so its probably one of the easier brands to find. Some of their stuff online isn't in store and probably won't be for a very long time... but their cheaper things are in pretty much every display and they've been around forever... so you'll be able to get a full face from that stuff alone. It is my favorite drugstore brand more or less.

6) How to get lipstick to last a little longer- 
You could use a lip primer if you really want to. It helps a little bit... but its kind of a gimmick... idk if I'd repurchase... it works but yeah. I have Too Faced Lip Insurance. You could do a concealer too... but that can be dangerous because if it wears down... you have no mouth! Then use a lip liner and your lipstick... if you eat or drink, its probably still going to wear off unless it's a liquid lipstick... but it'll help a little bit.

I think that is everything for now... maybe I'll have more, maybe I won't lol.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments