Drugstore Picks: Prom

Heyyy guys! So I keep seeing all these great drugstore prom make up videos and I'm really really jealous. The drugstore was not very good when I was in high school, and it has upped its game A TON since my proms. I didn't really want to do a look because there are so many prom looks... but here are some of my pics, and some products I've seen reviewed that I think would be nice for prom.

I don't know if I even wore make up to my senior prom, and I don't actually know what I used for my Junior Prom. I know I used Benefit's High Beam and I think a family friend of mine that does make up just did a really simple look with like a cat eye eyeliner. Idk what she used... but it looked nice.

For Foundation, its a little tricky because you kind of want full coverage, but you also don't want it too look like you have a cakey face. I think one type that would work really well for any skin type and will cover but still look natural is Covergirl's Ready Set Gorgeous. I have dry skin, my friend has oily skin and we both really like this foundation. It gives a satiny finish almost, so it isn't completely matte, but its still not super dewey or shiny. Its not super full coverage, but it is buildable and if you use it with a primer it will stay on really well. The powder for this is also really great. It says its a powder foundation, and I guess you could use it that way, but its just good as a setting powder also and it will fit nicely in a clutch... or if you're like me and have an awesome prom date, he will put it in his pockets for you. Lol. I know that happened with something of mine at my senior prom.

A primer I would recommend is the Maybeline Babyskin. I like the Masterface Illuminati (aka face studio masterprime in illuminating... lol) a little bit better, but that has SPF in it... so for pictures that wouldn't be the best choice. The Babyskin is really hydrating and it will make the foundation look natural for a long time. I like it.

For Blush I like the Maybeline Master Glaze blushes. They just came out with matte version of these that I kind of want... that'll look really nice on the face I think. But their regular version is super nice too and cream blushes last a little better and look a little more natural. So thats good. Physican's formula also has Argan Wear blushes that look like they would be nice for prom, but I hear they're really stinky... You may be dancing close with people or kissing or something, so you may not want them to think you're stinky... but they look good for prom.

If you want to go bronzer route... don't. Idk lol all the girls in my school put bronzer all over their body and looked super orange and way too made up... and I've been kind of battling bronzers since then. If you know how to use bronzer and you don't look orange NYC Sunny, Physician's formula shimmer strips, Maybeline Master hi light in light bronze, deep bronze, or natural depending on skin tone... or Ulta's in house bronzer. Those are good pics, but make sure you know how to use bronzer. I still don't know how to use it that well, and just use a light hand on your cheeks and no where else really lol.

Highlighter- again not necessary but if you want. Elf Baked Highlights are really good. Physicians formula Shimmer strips and the Elf whipped highlights are good, but make sure not to overuse that. Highlight is pretty easy to use and its a step I think looks nice for prom, so I would say skip the bronzer and just highlight.

There are no drugstore concealers I've tried that I like that much. I kind of like the Physician's formula nude wear... but I don't love it. I've heard maybeline's fit me and instant age rewind are good... Idk really lol. I am not an expert in this.

Now for the fun part! Eyeshadows!

Maybeline Color Tattoos are amazing bases. They really help the eyeshadow last a long time. Ulta also has good cream shadows... my favorite I have to say is the Urban Decay Primer potion... which is not drugstore but if you really want your shadows to stay all night, I'd say go for the sample tube of this for $12. Maybe if you ask someone at sephora they could give you a sample of it just to use for prom... idk. Some drugstore eyeshadows don't last for me even with the color tattoos... but usually they work fine, so I'd definitely recommend them.

The L'oreal La Palette 2 would be sooo nice for prom. You could definitely get a really soft look with this or a really nice smokey look. If you're more into browns than plums, the La Palette 1 is also really great and you can come up with a lot of looks with it. They even give looks on the pack. And the Maybeline The Nudes Palette is really nice. The Blushed Nudes would also be really nice for prom and from all the swatches I've seen of it, they are pigmented! The drugstore has upped its game with palettes. Wet n Wild has some really pigmented shadows that are easy to use and can give great looks.

For single shadows, I really REALLY wish we had these when I was in high school... but the L'oreal Infallible shadows are amazing and are incredibly pigmented and longwearing. The Milani Bella Eyes are really great too. Very pigmented, easy to work with and I just really like them. The L'oreal shadows have some fallout... the Milani ones have no fallout.

Eyeliner Rimmel Scandaleyes are amazing. The L'oreal Silkissime liners are good and I love the color highlighter for my waterline. Really brightens the eyes up. And the Jordana fabuliner is an amazing and easy liquid eyeliner. Again, don't use eyeliner if you don't know how to... but if you do, those are some good ones.

The drugstore is filled with amazing mascaras and thats kind of the most personal... so I'm not even going to mention it, but yeah... mascara is fun.

And lip products... I think if I were to go to prom today I'd probably go with Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey or one of their matte balms or Rimmel's new jumbo pencils. All of these wear really well, the Rimmel one will leave a nice stain on your lips without drying them out completely. The Revlon ones smell like mint and the Rimmel one smells like vanilla... so if you're kissing a boy that doesn't like mint, stay away from the Revlon and if he doesn't like vanilla stay away from the Rimmel. I didn't kiss anyone at my proms... don't kiss on the dancefloor that is tacky, but yeah. Lol.

So those are my tips! Hope they were somewhat helpful!

Byeeee!
-Shannon

PS- Right after I finished writing this someone on youtube made pretty much the best beginner video/ drugstore video ever! Young Wild and Polished on youtube made a really great video where she did a full face of make up and talked through each of the steps and it was really helpful and she used a lot of products that I think I need in my life... and the look just came out really good and I highly recommend using some of her tips. I know Prom is probably a lot of peoples first time using make up/applying it and these tips are useful and can really help. I'll link that right here.



Comments