Review: Maybeline The Nudes Palette

So I'm a little late on this bandwagon... and idk what it is... but lately I've had a fascination with drugstore eyeshadow palettes. The Maybeline Blushed Nudes looks really nice, the 2 new L'oreal palettes that look really nice and there is a Hard Candy palette that looks IDENTICAL to the Too Faced Natural Eyes palette... so I've become quite interested. After trying the Pixi palette that was such a win for me, I feel like there are a lot more affordable gems that are just waiting for me at the drugstore screaming "LOVE ME LOVE ME SHANNON" So I decided I needed to pick one of these bad boys up.

I've heard some negative reviews about Maybeline's The Nudes palette, but to me it didn't look bad. Maybeline has good drugstore eyeshadows and I figured this would be quality. It might be harder to work with than other shadows... but I think I've gotten pretty good at making things work and I saw this and I was like "yeah, I can do this." So far, I've only used it one time... so I'm just going to kind of start off with a first impression of the palette as a whole, and then I'll use it a little more and put a little second opinion at the end of this post... that way you can see the whole view from where I'm coming from... idk its a little different, but its good to know a first impression and a second opinion right?

First Impression 

For my current everyday make up look, this is an amazing palette. The gold shades sort of sold me on this... but the matte browns are really good too. Sometimes I feel like matte colors are too pigmented or not pigmented enough. These are a great middle ground that just works really well in the crease. I feel like these colors show up and that they don't really look cheap if you work with them right.

I tried to layer one of the white shimmery colors over another and it just looked cheap. Idk how to describe it, but it looked like there was powder on my eyes... just not the type of look I wanted... but on its own and layered right, it really does work and look like something you didn't buy at the drugstore.

I also think the design of the packaging is quite revolutionary. Lol that sounds fancy. I like that it breaks it up into quads, duos and trios. I think as quads, I could really see using the quad shades together. With duos it works well for most of the shades too. Some theres just a brown and a brown and its like... meh don't know that that would work together, but mostly its just a light shade and a dark shade... so yeah duos work well. Trios... meh not so much. I guess all the trios could work... but its a bit of a stretch.

I waited a while to get this because I didn't think I would use a drugstore eyeshadow palette when I have so many great high end palettes... but this is pretty awesome. The layout is nice, the colors go together well... which is something that is way easier to work with. Idk I just feel like it was overhyped because it was the first drugstore eyeshadow palette and then it wasn't life changingly amazing so people gave it bad reviews and then it was underrated... but its actually good and I like it and I was pleasantly surprised.

Is it the best eyeshadow palette I have? No, but I have a lot of high end ones. Is it as good as other drugstore options? The quality of the shadows themselves are a little less good than Wet N Wild... but Wet n Wilds can sometimes look a little cheap on, or like the Comfort Zone palette... I can't really find a use for every shade, even though it gives a little instruction guide. Compared to the Nyx Wicked Dreams I'd say the quality of the shadow is better, but I still love the variety of shades in the Nyx Wicked Dreams palette. I think if you like the Nyx Love in Paris palettes, you'll probably like this one too.

Who do I think this is good for? If you're a beginner and you want options, this is a little easier to use than something like the Nyx Love in Paris or Wicked Dreams palettes. If you travel a lot, this would be a good thing to have with you. I also think if you have a lot of single shadows and aren't really a palette person, this would work well in addition to that. I feel like I've been using a lot of In Addition To's lately (I keep laughing when I type that because of Bobby Bottleservice on Kroll Show.)... so right now this is awesome to me.

If you use mostly high end make up and have a lot of neutral palettes... you may not get a ton of use out of something like this... but I have a lot of high end neutral palettes and I think I will get a lot of use out of this. I'm not saying its on par with those palettes... but I think its a great little palette that could be useful for anyone to have.

Update: I actually just purchased the Lorac Pro palette a few days ago and I did a nice make up look with that one day, and then I felt like using this Maybeline one again after that and I really ended up loving the look I came up with! So I think there's a use for it even though I have a bigger collection now. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments