First Impression Friday: Make Up Academy Metals Palette

So I did a How-Tosday on this and I mentioned that I had... some strong Opinions on the Make Up Academy Metals Palette... and there's a lot to say about it... so thats what I'm going to do today...

I tried 3 times to do a look with this palette before coming up with one that I actually liked enough to wear. At first I did a look with the orange color, and it just looked a little crazy all over the lid. Then I did a purple look with the purples in this palette... and that actually came out okay, but its so pigmented it looked insane... and then the third look was okay but maybe not the best. Idk. Its just a little bit odd.

These are all metallic shades, which I don't mind. The colors you would use in your crease are more satin-y... which I think works well in the crease. Drugstore shadows don't always have amazing matte shades, so I tend to like it when there are no matte shades in drugstore palettes. I'm good with that. These colors all definitely show up on the lids. They're all really pigmented. They don't swatch amazingly well... but pack them onto the lid and you've got some pigment!

So these are great with the pigmentation... but they don't blend very easily. When I used the orange color it just looked muddy on the lid, and then it didn't really mix that well with the other colors either. And there was a lot of fallout onto the face too, so if you're going to use this palette, definitely use this before any of your face makeup because its hard to just wipe away because they are crazy colors and it is super pigmented.

These aren't the easiest to remove, so I think they'll probably have a really great staying power on the lid. They removed fine enough with purity, I don't think its anything that's going to be overly difficult.. but it wasn't the easiest thing in the world either. It could have been because I just applied it... I'll update on that... but yeah.

This isn't a fast palette either. Like I love the Lorac Pro 2 palette because it takes 5 minutes to make a look. All my other palettes don't take much time either... this kind of took forever just to use like 4 shadows since it doesn't really work with many other shadows.

Its also hard to come up with looks with these colors together... like looking at it, its an absolutely gorgeous palette, but the colors are hard to kind of come up with a look for. I know Bailey B did a tutorial on it... I'm definitely going to have to watch that because her looks are always easy enough and quite beautiful... but idk... I'm probably not going to use this as a whole palette that often. I think I'll use it with other shades maybe... but on its own I'm not that sure what to do with it.

So I think I'm going to keep it... I kind of regret buying it... but I'm going to come up with some uses for it... It isn't horrible... Is it worth $15? No. Definitely if you're going to buy this, buy it on sale. It does have wonderful pigmentation for a drugstore palette. I'm really impressed with that part of it... but overall I don't think I'm going to reach for this a ton just because it takes so long to use. If you want a good fall palette from the drugstore, the Makeup Revolution Romantic Smokes is amazing and its only $7 and comes with a couple more shades and its a little easier to come up with looks for that one. 2 palettes from Makeup Revolution would be cheaper than this at full price... like I said I got it on sale and it was 10.50 I think... but otherwise... no. Lol. I just didn't love this.

That is my honest review. If you like this, it is a really nice pigmented palette and the formula of the shadows is pretty nice... it just isn't very easy to use and I'm just not that in love with it.

Here are some pics too:
here's a pic of the actual palette that I took after I got it. 

this is the Lorac Pro Metals Palette... I thought it looked a little similar, you could probably get a similar look from each palette... but I like Lorac's formula better... so that one is probably worth the extra $13-$18. 
here are the swatches in bad lighting. They really don't swatch that well on my hand but they are wayyy pigmented on the lid. They're just hard to work with. 




P.S It's my birthday and this is such a bummer review... lol. I feel bad posting it, but whatever. Not everything is a total winner. And this is pigmented and I'm going to try and play with it more... but first impression... I'd pass on it.

Byeeee!
-Shannon

Comments