Back to College/Back to School Beauty Tips and Tricks!

Okay… so this month is going to be my “drugstore” month… but I wanted to do it more for Back To School and I thought I would start it off with some beauty tips for going back to college. 

First off I kind of want to talk about storage. One thing I found at Costco that I think will be good for beauty storage… I might not use it that way… but it will work nicely… it’s something similar to the Ikea Raskog Rolling Cart thing… it has 4 shelves in it instead of the 3 that the Ikea one has. You need to be a costco member or know someone from Costco to get this… but it is only $15… so I thought it was really useful. You could use this for school supplies and textbooks also. I’m using one of mine as a nightstand and the other I might use for nail polish or body products or something… not 100% sure yet. I did get 2 because my parents are Costco members and I am redoing my room and I wanted some stuff… chances are they probably still have these out. They’re really nice… haven’t put mine together yet… but I’ll let you know how I like them when I do. 

Another thing you could always use are the plastic drawers from Target. These are great- I used this in College… I didn’t use them for makeup… I am currently storing makeup in them… but it’s pretty temporary… and yeah. I don’t like these that much just because I don’t like Opening and closing drawers… I know that’s a little crazy… but when you’re in college… you have to think of little things like that that will ultimately keep your room cleaner. Lol. 

Other storage methods… check out TJ Maxx. Target dollar spot has some great things. Hautelook usually has some nice choices. Target’s office section, they have a desk plastic drawer thingy that I like for palettes… they just have some useful things like that. I also saw a pencil holder that I’m using for Makeup brushes and some lipsticks. It has 6 slots and it organizes my brushes really really nicely… so I’m super happy with how that turned out. It’s cute too, it looks just like a Sephora bag! 

There’s a lot better choices as far as makeup goes than when I was in college… which wasn’t that long ago… but still… I feel like it’s been long because there are so many better makeup choices… lol. 

I didn’t wear makeup to my early classes… especially when I lived on campus. When I lived at home my makeup routine was a long wearing primer, an easy BB Cream, eye primer, 3 shadows from the Lorac Pro 2 palette… usually just a matte in the crease, a shimmer on the lid and a darker shimmer on the outer corner… it was just really nice and simple… Ohhh I used an easy blush too and usually a Maybelline Babylips lipstick. I would pack a powder and a little spray from Bath and Body works because sometimes it got hot and I did a lot of walking. Plus my one main class was an acting class… so I didn’t want to get too done up and have lipstick on my teeth or anything crazy. 

If you’re going to splurge on one palette… I would say go with Lorac… they have some really nice, pigmented shadows that are very easy to use and very quick to use. If you don’t want to splurge but still want something kind of fancy and trendy… maybe try a brand like Juvia’s Place or BH Cosmetics. I’ve never tried Morphe shadows… but I think that might be a good option though- I know the Jaclyn Hill palette is the hot, hyped up thing right now… not sure if they’ll re-stock it again or not… it’s honestly not that much cheaper than the Lorac palettes and the quality I’m sure is good… but I don’t think it will be as good as the Lorac quality… so I would just say go for a lorac palette… Idk- just an opinion! I have sensitive eyes- sometimes Juvia’s Place bothers them… I’ve been hesitant to buy more from Juvia’s Place or try Morphe for that reason… but yeah. I’ll step off my little soap box there then… lol. 

I also saw recently that Ulta has a palette with a bunch of shadows and a blush and a highlight. It’s the Melissa Michelle Palette I believe… I don’t have it right now as of writing this… I’m hopefully going to have it by the time I post this and I’ll let you know some more about it… I’ll link Drugstore Maven’s video on it… she convinced me to buy it- it looks totally awesome…and if I do buy it- I’ll have a look on it soon. Lol. It’s $20 and comes with just about everything you could want. 

And Colourpop has great, super affordable, super trendy great quality shadows as well. You could get single shadows and a magnetic palette for them, you could get one of their pre-made palettes also… I have the Yes Please palette and I love it! I also have a few single shadows… their mattes are amazing. Their shimmer shadows I would compare to Makeup Geek’s foiled shadows… and in fact I’m going to go more into colourpop later on in the month… so stay tuned there… but yeah. I love me some Colourpop… especially the Yes Please Palette right now! 

So… yeah! Expect some fun affordable makeup looks this week and I’ll have some reviews of some newer products, some Colourpop reviews and then my favorite affordable things… so yeah! Have fun, hope you like this drugstore month and have fun in school/college! 

Byeee! 

-Shannon 

Comments