Let's Appreciate: Smashbox Contour Palette

So I used this palette just for a little bit today... and I just thought it would be fun to take a moment and recognize its awesomeness.

Before we recognize the awesomeness... I'm just going to talk about a con... I would just recommend the Elf Palette over this because it's a total dupe for a lesser price. Some people don't like drugstore makeup... so if it's not your thing- just get the Smashbox one... but if you want to save a few dollars or you just used up your smashbox one and don't want to spend $40+ to replace it... the elf one is pretty darn close. The smashbox formula is softer- it probably looks better in photos because that's what Smashbox is known for... but still. For $6 compared to $35 I think... this wouldn't be my first choice.

Anyway onto the appreciation: First off... I feel like they released this in a variety of ways. I got mine in a 500 point perk, they also included it in a holiday set with some mini palettes, which I believe I've seen at CCO's still... they also released it in a large holiday palette before the actual contour palette itself was released. They also have the actual palette itself... which you can buy on it's own... or they have sets with different things like their primers or their highlight sticks. You can actually find the palette itself on sale at TJ Maxx, it goes on sale quite often at Sephora and Ulta... it's probably cheap at CCO... and it's just kind of everywhere. So you can get this great palette that is worth the $40+ price tag for a lot cheaper.

It also came with a brush... and my friend has the actual palette and it's a pretty damn good brush! You can use it for contour or highlight just kind of depending on what you need it for... which is pretty awesome!

This was released pretty early on as far as Contour Palettes go as well. I think that the It Cosmetics one was released a little earlier... but I'm pretty sure that this was released before the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit... I'm fairly certain it was before the Shade n Light Contour kit... I could be wrong about these... but I think it was definitely one of the first. Smashbox always seems to be a little bit ahead of the game with trends... which is sometimes risky because I think sometimes the trends don't catch on... but still - It's admirable!

I also like that they have a lot of different ways that you can contour. I don't know if there's a cream contour palette- but there are contour sticks... and I think they have something else for contouring too. And these all get pretty rave reviews- so I think that's pretty cool.

I like that you can kind of use the "highlight" powder as a setting powder... that's how I used it today and I think it works like that. I never really use it as a cheekbone highlight- I just like it for setting my under eyes or my face a bit.

I like that there aren't a lot of colors in this. I never really understood the appeal of getting one of the bigger contour palettes because I only do my own makeup - for makeup artists I think a bigger contour palette with different shades is great. If you get really dark in the summer but you're light in the winter the bigger palettes are probably great too... but just for the average person like me... it makes sense to have 3 colors in one palette. It makes sense to have more shade options if you're just going to put 3 colors in... but still I wouldn't buy a palette with more than 4 shades in it... just because I don't get it. I didn't a few years ago when the contour craze started... I don't think I'm going to anytime soon.

So there you go! My appreciation post for the Smashbox Contour Palette! Let me know if you like these and you want some more... it might be kind of random. I don't really want to do anything I've just reviewed... but I'll do something like this.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments