Try Again Thursday: Makeup Academy (MUA) Metallic Palette

I did a little review about this palette last year when I first got it... and I didn't love it. It was the hardest for me to work with and it took me several tries to finally get a look I was okay with... and even then I wasn't thrilled with it.

First Try 
I still don't love it... the thing that is misleading about this is that the colors are much darker than they look in the pans. And it just kind of falls out easily and its a little hard to blend. I used the "orange" brown all over my lid and then a darker brown thats more satin than metallic on my outer corner and a little bit into my crease... and that was messy and it just looked way too dark so I topped it off with a gold shadow, the Palladio Crushed shadow in Eclipse, and it looked a lot better. I thought that made my eyes look really pretty and brown-er... which I like! So that Palladio Crushed shadow really saved the look.

And that's kind of the thing with this palette. You really do need another shadow or palette to get a real look with this palette. Its not an all in one palette... which I don't mind now... I think I might have minded a little bit at the time.

I think a good palette to combine these with would be the Milani Palettes. I don't really think you can get an "all in one" look with them either... so I feel like they will compliment each other nicely in that aspect. I'll try a couple more looks with that and let you know what I think.

Second Try 
Okay I used the light purple in this palette and the darker sparkly purple on the ends... the dark purple didn't last very long... and the light purple didn't last that well either... so that's kind of a bummer... but I really loved the look! I used the brown from Milani's Bare Necessities and it looked really nice and purple-y and pretty. I'll definitely try the look again... I might try the palette one more time just to give it my final seal of somewhat approval... but yeah. It isn't really the best.

Third Try 
Okay... I wanted to use this with the Milani Palette another time... I forgot about that and didn't use it... but I did kind of come to my conclusion about whether or not this gets the full Shannon Seal of Approval or not... I tried the orange again and it just looks wayyyy too different in the pan than on my eyes... same thing with the burgundy color at the end... considering that those 2 colors were what I was most excited about in this palette... that disappoints me a little. It is pigmented, its easy to use... it just isn't a "what you see is what you get" type of palette and that upsets me a little.

Final Thoughts 
I've enjoyed using this a lot more than I thought I would this week... but it doesn't get the seal of approval because it just isn't what it looks like at all. The shadows are pigmented... but when most of them look like kind of the same color... its not the most exciting palette in the world And the lasting power wasn't even all that good... so I'm glad I tried this again and I probably will use it more and more because I did like using it this week... but I'm still going to say if you really think "Wow, I can do so many fun looks with this orange and that burgundy." You might want to skip. If you love the other colors like the purples and that green is really nice... but I'm not really going to tell you "YOU NEED TO RUN OUT AND GET THIS RIGHT THIS MINUTE!" because it is a little underwhelming.

I believe last year I compared it to the Lorac Pro Metals... which at the time I don't think I even had... but the two of those palettes look more alike and with the Lorac the colors show up more true to color than the Makeup Academy. And the Makeup Academy is pretty pricey, I'm sure the Lorac isn't that much more expensive (and I got mine on sale... so it was only a few dollars more really.)

I'm glad I tried it out a little more... but meh.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments