Drugstore Palette Smackdown: Maybelline The Nudes vs. Covergirl Truenaked Nudes

Introduction: 
So a few months ago I did a palette smackdown of the Too Faced Bon Bons vs the Tartelette in Bloom palette... and I liked that... and I'm trying to not buy palettes right now... so I'm doing this Palette Showdown between a couple of Drugstore Palettes. I'll tell the pros and cons of each palette and then I'll give a verdict of which one I like better. I might have different recommendations for different people based on what I think of the palettes... but basically... we're going to to find the best palettes... and I have a large collection... that will probably continue to grow... but I like the idea of this and I'm just going to go for it and give a good review!

How I'm doing this 
So I'm breaking it down between Drugstore and High End because its not really fair to put them up against each other. High end is usually better quality... so I don't think its necessarily fair to put something like the Sweet Peach palette up against the Maybelline Nudes... doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm going to use each palette for the same amount of time... I typically like to use a palette 4 or 5 times before a review... but that's going to take a long time and I want to use other palettes also. I'm going to try to have a drugstore and high end palette showdown each month... and I'm still testing and reviewing other things... so it'll probably be after 2 or 3 uses... or whatever I find sufficient. I'll do the same amount of time on both palettes... and yeah.

Price will probably be a little bit of a factor... not going to lie about that. If I like the $9 Maybelline Palette more than a $20 L'oreal palette... that's kind of a factor!

Also I'm including things like the Revealed Palette, The Carli Bybel Palette and other more mid-range independent brands in the High end category... just cause I think they perform closer to high end brands and I feel like they have a fair shot against those palettes.

Not every post is going to be this long... I just want to establish the rules... so yeah.

Before Use: 
Since I've used these palettes before... but not in a little while, I'll do some pros and cons of each one.

Maybelline The Nudes: 

Pros: 
- Easy to come up with looks. If you look on the back, they arranged the palette so that you can break the shadows up in to duos, trios and quads. Perfect for beginners.
- Its a little more affordable at 9.99 @ Ulta... Maybelline tends to go on sale a lot.
- This popularized the drugstore palettes, so without this palette... there wouldn't be many more to compare.
- Packaging is pretty nice! I think it might be a little better than the covergirl.
-Lasts pretty well.


Cons: 
- Not the most pigmented or blendable colors. Its totally useable, I've done some great looks with it... but it isn't going to wow you with pigment.
- Some of the colors are really similar. I think they could have been a little more versatile with it.
-I feel like I need to pull colors from other palettes with this. I don't mind that... but it is slightly annoying.

Covergirl Trunaked Nudes: 

Pros: 
- Very Pigmented!
- I think the color selection is a little nicer than the maybelline.
-They come with color names! The names are on the back... that's always fun. It kind of makes it easier to post looks or film tutorials.
- The arrangement makes sense. Its not quite as easy as the arrangement of the Maybelline Nudes... but I think its nice compared to other palettes.

Cons: 
- A couple dollars more than the Maybelline Nudes... not enough to really make or break it but...
- Fewer colors than the Maybelline Nudes. Considering its more expensive than the maybelline... that seems weird.
- Not quite as user friendly as Maybelline. I think this is for a more advanced makeup beginner, whereas the Maybelline is good for any beginner.

While Using: 

Maybelline: 

1st Use: Alright this was my first use on either palette, and the shadows applied really well and they were pretty pigmented. I used a Jordana Liquid Eyeshadow as a base... so most of the color on my lid was from that... but the matte crease colors blended nicely, and it lasted alright throughout the day... it didn't quite survive after dance class... but some of the colors did, and it faded gracefully. Lol. I was slightly annoyed at the fading... but no big deal. You can still see my crease and outer corner colors. Its like 3:09 now... I've had these on since 10am maybe... if I notice anything vastly different at the end of the day I'll update you! If not... then I won't!

Alright my eyes were bothering me around 6:30... so I took it off. It wasn't really wearing all that well though. I think if you're looking for something to wear to work or school this will be fine. With a good primer I'm sure it'd last through gym class because it did last after my dance class... if you're on a sports team too maybe... idk. I don't know about the guidelines for that stuff anyway... haha.

I was going to include a second use and a third use... but I've realized not to overthink it, this is more about which palette I like better personally... and after using them both I know which one I like better.  So... yeah. Lol. If I don't automatically know which one I like more... I'll use it more. But I know.


Covergirl: 

1st Use: This barely lasted on me... I used an Elf Primer thats in like a stick form and then a liner sealer at the end and then the Jordana Liquid Eyeshadow... and I used a taupey color over the gold and it just fell right off. Not very good. Ugh. But even with the maybelline ones I could see the matte in the crease and the color at the end... but no. Not with these... couldn't see anything. I do think they apply a little nicer and the formula is better... but no.

And I don't feel very inspired by the colors either... so yeah. Lol.



AND THE WINNER IS... 
Clearly... the Maybelline Nudes. Lol. Thats the one I like better and if I had to recommend one, thats the one I'd recommend. Its just a little easier to use, a little easier... it lasts a lot longer for me and its even arranged a lot easier. Its better for beginners... if you have a lot of palettes I still think if you just want an easy look, this is an easy one! This one is just an overall winner. I like it a lot! And I just think its a good palette.

So Next time I'm going to match up the Maybelline Nudes with the Covergirl Goldens... because those colors speak to me more than the Nudes... so it has that factor going for it... I thin The Goldens could beat out Maybelline Nudes even if its the same formula of this covergirl palette. Lol.

Byeee!
-Shannon





Comments