Throwback Thursday: Palette Pros and Cons: L'oreal La Palette Nude 2

So... I just thought of this random blog idea... I'm just going to take a palette from my stash and say everything that I like about it and everything that I don't like about it. I like and use every palette in my collection... I can say that... but some are a little bit neglected. At the end of the blog I'll say who I think the palette is perfect for. This will all be older palettes... I'll still do fuller reviews on new palettes... I just think it's good to do something when you've had a lot of time with it!

I also think this palette might be named something different now... let me check L'oreal's website and see if I can find anything on it... I guess it's the Nude intense now. That's a little more confusing... that'll be on the Con list... which I would start with because I don't want to end on a negative note... but I think for me- it's easier to think of what I like about it and then go with what I don't like.

Also why am I starting with the La Nude 2? This is the palette I saw when I came up with the idea. Next month I'll do a high end palette and I'll reverse... so I'll get to the one eventually... but today it's the two.

Pros 

There's a mirror in the palette! You don't see many mirrors in drugstore palettes... It is kind of a weird shape for a mirror... but it makes it really easy to see your eyes to get a good look with the palette.

The packaging is also really nice and sturdy. You can see the colors easily... so it makes it easy to distinguish if you have both palettes- you can just see what's inside.

There's also a guide on the back that has some looks... so if you can't think of what to do or if you get stuck on a look... you can kind of see what to do on here.

The color selection is nice. It's very basic... but at the time it was initially released it was still pretty trendy. It's like a cooler toned rosy palette. I think when I initially swatched it I found 4 dupes for the Naked 3 palette in this... Pretty sure it was 4... really specific thing to remember but I think it was 4 lol.

You can get a lot of different looks with this palette. Easy, basic look, or a smokey daring look. You could use it for everyday or you could definitely glam it up. It's a pretty versatile palette.

10 colors isn't bad for drugstore. The pan sizes are generous also... so that's good.

These have some pigment. They aren't the best... but they have some pigment to work with and they're very soft.

As far as matte shadows go... these are some of the best from the drugstore. Not my total favorite... but it's a lot better than the mattes in the Maybelline palettes. It's easy to blend and it's nice.

Cons 

It isn't worth $20. That would be a good value for a palette... but it's just not worth $20. Definitely use coupons, wait for a sale... get it wherever it is cheapest. A lot of times during the holidays these will have special packaging and then the ones with the special packaging go on sale after christmas I think.

I'm not sure how this would show up on darker skintones. I think it would work better than other drugstore palettes maybe... but it isn't really a universal palette.

These colors aren't really that trendy anymore. They're still very gorgeous... but sometimes you want something trendy... warmer colors seem to be the trend right now... I know that a lot of people prefer cooler tones for their skin tone... I think any color can work for any skintone or undertone... Just wear what you like. Don't be afraid to step outside the box... but yeah. I feel like it's hard to see every brand pushing these warm, orangey sunset type palettes and then see this palette and find any sort of desire for it. You know? It's just kind of strange.

They took the time to label the palette with numbers on the back... but didn't give shadow names... I think anyone reading the instructions on the back can count... that really isn't all that helpful. They couldn't have just named the shadows? So lazy.

Speaking of names... you can't keep changing the names and the packaging of the same palette just to get people to buy the same crap twice... lol.

These don't have the best staying power on my eyelids. I haven't tried it with the Milani eye primer - which is what seems to work the best for me... but before I had the most luck with Urban Decay Primer Potion or just using a concealer and a powder over the concealer and then using it. It's a high maintenance palette... which most drugstore palettes are... which is why they aren't always necessarily worth it. If you need to buy 15 different things just to see if it helps the eyeshadow last longer... you might as well save up for a high end palette.

It came with some sort of brush or sponge tip applicator... It wasn't bad- I don't have it anymore so I don't totally remember it... but I remember loving the ones in the Wet n Wild 10 Pan Palettes and this didn't have that sort of impression on me.

The packaging is a little bit bulky and it isn't that cute... Not a huge problem... not the bulkiest palette... but it isn't very sleek either.

There are better palettes out there that you can get for a better price or around the same price. Juvia's place is usually under $20... the Maybelline palettes are ones I prefer... This just isn't the best palette you can get in it's price range.

I have one thing that I'm going to call a "Pron" because it's like a pro and a con... I don't reach for this palette a ton and I've had it since it initially launched... which was a long time ago. But even still... I find a lot of inspiration from this palette. Like I look at it and I'm like "Ohhh here's a whole new series I can do for my blog." No other palettes have done that... right? So that's something. I do use these often when I want to do drugstore looks... I did a really great Back To School look with the other La Nude Palette. I think I want to do some more "Palette" series with older, permanent and popular palettes... and I'll probably do one with this sometime soon because there is a lot you can do with it... so there's inspiration there... which brings me to...

Who Is This Palette For? 
If you're in High School... this palette will be your best friend. It's easy to keep in a makeup bag and travel with... you could store it in your locker... so if you're going to the movies or on a date or something after school and you want to put on a little something... this is great. You could definitely do a prom look or a school dance look with this palette. Plus you could just use it for everyday makeup when you have classes.

If you're just starting out with makeup at any age this would be good too... I know a lot of women with hooded eyes or with mature skin don't love wearing shimmers... I think these shimmers would work... but there are more mattes in the palette than shimmers, so you can easily just use the matte shades if you feel uncomfortable with shimmers.

Hope you guys like this series! I had a lot of fun coming up with it and I look forward to doing more of these!






Comments