TV Style: Makeup and Fashion Favorites

So I thought this post was kind of an important post because a lot of times the makeup and fashion of a show can make or break a show... and there are some tv shows that I think really stick out as far as fashion goes... it is a very important element to pretty much any show... and I thought with the Golden Globes coming up- this would be a fun thing to talk about.

Kath and Kim... 
Okay this isn't a favorite... but this is a good example of the fashion breaking a tv show. I really liked the show Kath and Kim (the American version) that was on in 2009-2010ish I think... but if you look up "worst shows of all time" they mention this and it did mention the fashion choices as being a little too over the top and not great. And really I agree... I didn't find it too distracting- I still genuinely liked the show... but I could see the fashion was not something I've really ever seen anyone wear... and I get that it's not the best.

Gossip Girl 
Gossip Girl was on around the same time as Kath and Kim and I think this show was kind of the epitome of style when it was on. I was around the same age as the class featured on the show... and I feel like even watching it now gives me some nostalgia for some of the makeup trends and fashion that was popular then. I think it's actually more similar to what I dress like now than what I dressed like back then. I was a little more into Fall Out Boy t-shirts when this was on lol.

But the makeup trends I think are coming back now. They have some glossier lips... I think the Lip Topper trend kind of helped bring the gloss back. Serena I've noticed has a lot of pastel eyeshadow too... that sort of had a moment last spring and I think palettes like the Too Faced White Chocolate Palette are trying to bring back pastels. I think it looks really pretty on Serena and I like it a lot!

As far as the hair goes... they had some great hair styles on the show too. Serena has nice, blonde beautiful hair... I watched the episode "Blair Waldorf Must Pie" yesterday- which is the Thanksgiving episode of the first season... Blair had her hair in gorgeous curls... it was just so so pretty and I want my hair to have a little more volume like her's did in that episode.
Blair in Blair Waldorf Must Pie. 

Riverdale 
Another great show where the makeup and fashion actually mean something.
Cheryl often wears red and black as well as white. 

An article I read showed that the actual lip colors worn by the three main female characters reflect their personalities. Cheryl is often shown wearing a red lipstick to show power... in episodes where she's a little bit more mild- it doesn't always show her lip color. Betty is often shown doing her makeup in front of her vanity... which kind of reflects the dual personalities of Betty, the "Dark Betty" and the "Good Girl Betty." I think the mirror and makeup are a symbol that she's concealing the "Dark Betty" to protect her "Good Girl" image that her mother wishes for her. She often wears pink to reflect the sweet innocence of her character. Veronica often wears dark lip colors to show that she has a bit of a history and a dark past.

Another thing to note: Betty often gets her lipstick smeared... which again I think is sort of an "innocence lost" metaphor. I thought it was just a fluke... but it's something that they did show in more than one episode... so I think it has something to do with that.
This is a sweatshirt that looks like the crown Jughead wore in the comic books. Riverdale does a great job of using fashion to bring the comic books to life. 

The fashion is also beautiful on the show... all distinctly different... but I'm so happy that even though they are cheerleaders, they don't only wear Cheer Uniforms on the show. That's one disappointment with Glee... they could have had Santana and Brittany in cuter outfits... but they kept them in the Cheer Uniforms... anyway this isn't about glee- it's about Riverdale. Veronica's outfits are a little bit closer to Blair Waldorf's... kind of preppy and always very classy looking. Betty's look a lot more "girl next door"... something a little more casual. Cheryl usually has on something pretty fancy also because she shows off her wealth. All the styles are very beautiful and each of the actresses look absolutely gorgeous in them.

Grown-ish 


These are in the promos... really casual sweatshirt but still stylish. Looks designer. 

This show has only had a couple episodes so far... but just from watching the commercials you can really see some great style for the show. Black-ish has always showcased Zoey's style... a lot of times to show what's going on in the world. Zoey was seen wearing a safety pin when the Safety Pin movement was first starting. I think this is more going to show super trendy and cute outfits. They're working with Ebay for advertisements to show that you can get designer clothes on a college budget. I like that.
I like her jacket, earrings and hair in this. 

I haven't seen the show yet as I've said... so it's hard to talk about the makeup of it... I think this would be a good chance to work with brands that are owned by Women of Color. I'm excited to see what they do with makeup and hair for this show. Yara Shahidi is very beautiful and she always looked so stylish and cute on blackish... I'm sure this show will really give her style time to shine!
I think this was from an episode of Blackish that introduced the new series... but I'm not sure. 

I think that is everything I have to say! I'm always interested in TV and Style on TV... so I think this will be a fun thing to look at further... and I'll probably have a few more posts like that!
These look like pajamas... but I always felt embarrassed not having cute pajamas in College... so I thought this would be useful! 

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments