Thrifty Thursday: Nyx Jumbo Pencil Haul, Review and Swatches+ WHY I'M OBSESSED!

Alllright so I was very excited to walk into my drugstore and find that several shades of my newest obsession: The Nyx Jumbo Pencils were on sale. Not every shade I picked up was on sale and I don't know if these are on sale at every drugstore... I don't know if Nyx is changing these or getting rid of them... but I knew I had to pick some up because I've become so obsessed with the Nyx Jumbo Pencil in Milk lately and I wanted to try more colors... so I bought a backup of Milk and 4 other colors... so let me break this all down!

Why The Obsession? 

It all started a little while ago when I don't remember exactly why... but I reached for the Milk stick instead of the Wet n Wild Ultimate Brow Highlight that I had been using. I liked the way that it looked in the waterline and it went on really creamy and smooth- plus it didn't budge or bother my eyes. Then I had a problem with one of my fingers on my right hand and I couldn't really use regular eyeliner... so I thought this would work well because it is easy to just pick up and use right in the waterline. It's really big- so you don't need to have too steady of a hand or anything and it just works really well. Fast forward a few days... my hand is healed- but I just can't seem to find my Milani Shadow primer... plus I'm using a drugstore shade that isn't the most pigmented. Enter Milk! It just worked really nice as a base all over the lid. It was really easy for the shadow to just cling to it... plus it lasts for a really long time. So I totally fell back in love with this thing out of nowhere... and it's just exciting to re-discover something I wasn't all that into before.

Haul 

It felt like destiny when I found that these were on sale at my drugstore. Not every shade was on sale... but it was still a pretty good deal... and I wanted some more colors anyway- so that is what I got.

The first one that caught my eye was Yogurt. This is a gorgeous Rose Gold color- the type of color I usually wear in my waterline... so it seemed like a no brainer. I could also use this as a base for a lot of colors because I do wear a lot of Rose Gold and I really do like it. I could even just probably wear this on it's own because I don't think these crease on me and they're just very creamy and easy to work with... so that one was a nice, easy one to choose.

Next up French Fries! French Fries is a really pretty dark metallic brown. I thought this would be really nice if I wanted more of a smokey look. It's not quite as harsh as a brown, but it'll still look dark and I thought it would look good with my eyes. I don't know if I would wear this on its own as a shadow... but it might be good as a base for a duochrome shadow.

I also got Rocky Mountain Green... I got these right before St. Patrick's Day. I figured I could use this as a pop of color for St. Patricks Day if I didn't just want to do a fully green look... I could use this as a base if I did do a green look. I don't know if I'd wear this on it's own... but it's colorful and it could probably work. I also used to wear green eyeliner when I first started doing my makeup... so it's a bit nostalgic... let's see 21 Year Old Shannon...
And then on a whim I got Black Bean too... I'm most nervous about this one because having a black eyeliner in this Jumbo Pencil Formula seems like a dangerous idea... but I like to run with scissors. (No I don't... don't run with scissors guys. That's literally the most dangerous thing I could think of and I thought it would sound cool as a metaphor. Also wear your safety goggles... Don't be like Carol!)

And I bought a Milk backup just in case they're getting rid of these for good and Milk is never around again. That being said: I kind of regret repurchasing Milk... I have several other colors now and I don't really think I'll be running out of the Milk shade that soon!

I also got the Nyx Jumbo Pencil Sharpener because they say it's best to use the sharpener from the same brand if you want your pencils to last longer... plus it's hella hard finding a pencil sharpener big enough for these... so it just seemed like a good idea.

Swatches 

Top-Bottom

Rocky Mountain Green, Black Bean, French Fries, Yogurt, and Milk. Milk was the one that showed up the patchiest I guess... but still better than pretty much any white shadow.Plus... it's an older product at this point... I think I've had it a few years now- so it might not be the same.Also I don't think Yogurt is showing up true to color here... it's a little more of a rose gold in person... but it's very pretty and I'm excited to use it!

Review... 

I think I want to continue this in a very in-depth review... so here I'll just tell you best and worst and how well these wore in the waterline...


Basically... the lighter colors are easiest to use in the waterline. It's not too messy and it's very easy to cover up. French Fries works great in the waterline too... but with Black Bean and Rocky Mountain Green... those are a little tricky. It's hard to have a black, pigmented Jumbo Pencil... so this sort of formula doesn't work the best for it. If you get it right on your waterline- it will stick... but if it gets on the lower lashline it kind of gets messy. I had quite a hard time with it when I used it yesterday... but I was okay with how it looked as a whole.

Rocky Mountain Green is a little harder to get in the waterline... so that kind of made for a different look that I wasn't really going for... but it still ended up pretty nice... with some cleanup lol. It was definitely needed for this look.

I've used Yogurt, Milk, and French Fries as a base... and all of them work really well as a base and as a waterline color. I haven't really found the right shadows to do this with Black Bean or Rocky Mountain Green yet... but I will share those looks sometime soon in a "Looks with the Nyx Jumbo Pencils" sometime soon... I know this isn't the most relevant product out there right now... but it is a great product and I want to give you guys a lot of info on it!

Byeee!
-Shannon


Comments