First Impression Review: Em Cosmetics Life Palette Mini: New Years Edition

So I got this little palette from Em Cosmetics recently at a designer fragrance outlet. Em Cosmetics is Michelle Phan's line and I've honestly been wanting to try out her brand since she's launched it. Before I even wore makeup I would sit down for hours on snowy days and just watch Michelle's videos and now... idk if I'm even subscribed to her anymore... but I think she's such an inspiration, her looks are always so different and fun to watch and her videos are all pretty great and I'm really proud of the life that she's made for herself. And she's what got me into makeup, which is a really big hobby of mine I think... so I really appreciate her and think she's a great, inspirational person, who has oddly had a big impact on my life in an unexpected way... so thank you, Michele.

the outer packaging 

Anyway, I got this palette for $20 at the outlet, it was discounted and I think its $34 online or something... not entirely sure, but it comes with 6 shadows, 2 lip colors and one blush and a decent sized mirror. Its in a nice, slim package. It has all really fun colors that don't seem like they should go together... but they go together really nicely and I can actually see creating a ton of looks just with these alone. It looks like a great fall palette or a good going out palette. Its geared towards New Years... but you could totally wear this anytime really. I could see wearing it in the summer even.
Swatches... sorry not good lighting, but look how pigmented! 


The shadows and blush are all nicely pigmented. Its not my favorite formula of shadow to be quite honest, but they are really nice. There's a little fallout, but its not tricky. You kind of need to build up the pigmentation a little when they go on your eye... at least I had to with this copper shade in it called Couples Gold. There aren't really any great matte crewe colors that go with that copper shade... I used the burgundy color, which is a little more satin and it creased a little I think because it had quite a bit of sheen to it. I guess the blush could be used as a shadow for the crease, and I may do that next time... but it didn't look awful. It wasn't like the worst creasing shadows ever... but if I blinked you could probably see that the burgundy shade wasn't the best for the crease.

The First shadow in the palette called Sequin Dress was also a little sheer... but I kind of like it. Its like a sheer glitter topper almost... but it can be built up nicely. Idk I loved how it looked in the inner corner because it looked similar to the Couples Gold color but just a smidge lighter.

Also... that blush is PIGMENTED! Its one you want to use a stipple brush with. I put it on with a BH Cosmetics blush brush (its exactly like the Up and Up Blush brush for reference) and it just looked like one big brown streak... and Idk why! Lol maybe I used the brush with bronzer and I need to wash it... but it looked bad. I blended it out with a tarte sitpple brush and it looked MUCH better after that.
Here is my full face of makeup with it. You can see the blush eventually bladed nicely. 

I didn't actually use either of the lip colors... but I played around with them and I really think they're pretty nice. The darker one is just such a nice flush of color. It isn't too crazy and vampy, but it goes so well with the burgundy's in the palette that I think it would look nice with any look you do in it. The lighter one could go over that to make it a little more shimmery, or you could wear it on its own. This is supposed to be designed like a Painter's palette that you can mix together. I like that they threw those in the palette.

They lasted a pretty long time on the lid too! I know i said the one shadow creased but it didn't totally crease, it just sort of sat in the crease a little funny... lol. It did last me all day and all night on a night where I met my goal of 10,000 steps... and exceeded it. Lol. So I liked that.

I also love the packaging. I think its very chic, but also very sturdy. It has Michelle Phan's name on it, so if you're a fan thats kind of important. Its nice and compact for travel. You could take out the pans and refill them when you're done. If you look at the palette in the light you can see an inspirational message in Michelle's handwriting.

Here is the inside with the colors... again badly lit... the 5th color (starting from the left) is a sparkly black and the 6th color is a navy blue. 

And honestly, its pretty versatile. There are some palettes I look at and they can be a little too crazy and its like "I can only come up with one look for that." This I look at and I see a lot of different looks to do. A lot of the products are multi-taskers. The Blush could also be a shadow, the light golds could work as highlights. The lip colors could be cream blushes, the glittery black and the blue and even the burgundy color or the blush could be good liners.

Is this the best palette in the world? No. Is it something you absolutely need? No. But am I really happy with it and love it just as much as my other palettes? Yes. I would definitely recommend this. I think it's worth $20... I would even say its worth $34 because it just makes me happy to look at and it is really nice and I know I'm going to use it a lot. I think its a really fun palette and it is worth a try. I would try more from her brand just based off of this... maybe I'll look next time I'm at that outlet... see if they have anything for a better price even! Lol.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments