First Impression Friday: Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Mascara

So I recently got this Marc Jacobs mascara as a 100 point perk from Sephora... so I thought I'd do a first impression on it. I don't exactly have a simple makeup look today... I'm not exactly doing a simple look so that you really see the mascara... I'm taking some inspiration from David Bowie this week. (this is being written shortly after his passing.) But here's what I think so far.

Price and Wand 
This is $26... which is a lot of money for a mascara. It has the same exact wand shape as the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara. So... this isn't super unique in the shape of it... there are lots of hourglass shaped mascara's at this point... so yeah. I feel like I'm skeptical because this is $26 and tested on animals.

Application 
This applied really nicely actually. I couldn't find my eyelash curler, so I didn't actually curl my lashes... but this still kind of lifted them up nicely and it gave a lot of volume and length. And it is black. I didn't use a ton of it... but it looked really nice and good. I really like the way it looks. I didn't apply the Ulta Rain Coat Topcoat on top of it... which I usually do because my eyes can water... but it hasn't so far and its pretty good. I do usually prefer Cruelty Free Mascaras because they work better for my eyes... but this isn't bad.

I like the way it looks a lot and I'll check in again later!

Compared To Too Faced Better Than Sex 
I feel biased to the Too Faced Better Than Sex because I prefer too faced and I prefer Cruelty free mascaras... but I gotta say the formula for this is a little different and a little bit better maybe... The brush is very wet so its likely that this will last longer than the dryer formula of the Better Than Sex Mascara. So it may be worth the extra $3... but I'm still going to say just because my eyes are a little tricky, I would probably purchase a full size of the Better Than Sex over this. I know what works for me and I know what bothers me... maybe I'll update you guys in an empties if this did last a long time for me or if it did bother my eyes... but right now that is what I think.

I forgot I was doing a first impression... 
So I forgot that I was doing a first impression... but I did put this on around 1 and it lasted and my lashes looked amazing until 5! It didn't flake off or hurt my eyes at all... I'm still a little skeptical about this... but it is pretty amazing. I have to say I think I felt really confident in this mascara compared to any other mascara. I just thought it looked really great and I'm not sure if I'll need to bring my own mascara when I get my makeup done for my sisters wedding or if they'll do false lashes or not... but I may buy this for the bachelorette party or something. It was really great.

So... yeah. Definitely love this sample... I would still recommend cruelty free for someone with sensitive eyes... idk what chemicals or ingredients are in this, I'm going to try to look it up... but its good! Its really good!

A little while later... 
So my first impression of this was a while ago. Typically I do first impressions pretty far in advance that way I can update you guys if I notice anything different...

I don't think I like it better than the Bareminerals Lash Domination mascara because it does clump up a little bit if you layer it. I have one specific part of my lashes that I think are really close friends that just want to get together all the time, and sometimes mascaras help them get together... and it doesn't look that great. Lol. This helped them get together... which is good for them... but bad for me. Lol. I guess you don't need many coats of this... but still if you just go a little extra it clumps them.

It also did make my eyes a tiny bit watery. It wasn't the least comfortable mascara... but it was kind of uncomfortable.

So yeah, I still prefer the Ulta, I still prefer the Bareminerals Lash Domination, but I do think this mascara will work for most people. Is it worth $26? No. No Mascara is really worth that much in my opinion... but if you want to splurge, get it!

And its another thing. I know this is amazing and I know this is in my collection, but I keep reaching for the Lash Domination over this... so its not that great. Lol. If you want to splurge on a nice mascara if you have a hot Valentines Day date or a fun Galentines Day party... I'd still go with the Lash Domination. This isn't a bad choice though!

Hope this was helpful! Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments