Frugal Friday:Drugstore Starter Kit pt. 1: Face

So I thought this would be kind of useful for anyone looking to try makeup for the first time, or even if you have tried a lot of high end makeup but want to keep things more budget friendly... these are some good products for beginners.... so yeah! I figure I'll cover some good old fashioned staples, and some newer trendier things too!

Face

Primer 
Now this is a little difficult because every primer kind of works differently for every skin type. I think if I were to recommend one from the drugstore that can go with all skin types it would be the Maybelline Masterprime Blur and Illuminate primer. I've heard their regular blur primer is good too, but I only have the illuminate and I really like it. I haven't used it in a while... but it is really nice. It isn't really hydrating, but it does really blur your pores and look nice.

If you want something that will make foundation last longer the Covergirl Outlast is really nice. I use this with BB Creams so that they can stay on a little bit better and I really like it. The Rimmel Stay Matte is also really similar to that if you have a BB Cream or lighter coverage foundation... I'd pick the Covergirl one over the rimmel one probably... but the Rimmel is pretty much just as good and I think its a lot more affordable. So that might work better. I think the Covergirl one is also meant for someone older... so the Rimmel one should work find for teenagers.

Foundation 
My current favorite drugstore foundation that I think can work with any skin is the Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation. This is pretty full coverage. If I was sick the day before or something and I don't feel well... this doesn't work for me just because it is too drying... but most of the time this works amazing. I don't think I've tried it with the Maybelline Primer... but it does work great with an illuminating primer, I use the Benefit one with it and its fun.

Also I almost forgot the Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous! This foundation is great! I haven't had it for a little while but my friend with oily skin likes this, I have dry skin and I like it. I think Oil Free foundations are always good... first off if you use a beauty sponge, it works really well because it won't separate.

Also I want to mention the Maybelline Superstay Better Skin. I love this. Its not going to work if you have very oily skin... but if you have a little bit dryer skin, this will work really well for you. Its a little like the Too Faced Born This Way... the Too Faced is wayyy better... but this is still really good.

And one more I feel the need to mention... almost forgot about this... I probably need to repurchase this one because I think I like it more than the Maybelline is the L'oreal Trumatch Lumi. This is really great. I don't think its too dewy if you have oily skin... maybe it is idk. Its nice though and I wanted to mention this because I realized the other foundations I mentioned don't have a very wide color variety. This will likely have a match for you. This foundation has been around a little longer and is more popular, so this has the widest shade range. The Covergirl one has a pretty big shade range also, the Maybelline I have a feeling is expanding on their shade range... and the Rimmel does not have many shades. So this is a good one that is easier to find your shade in... but yeah.

Concealer 
I'm very picky about my concealers... but I like one from the drugstore and that is the Maybelline Superstay Better Skin. This is just good! It covers well under the eyes. I've put it on blemishes before and the redness goes down quite a bit. This is just really good. It also works well as a primer if you put this on and powder it with a loose setting powder.

Powder 
The Elf HD Undereye powder is great for the undereyes. It just sort of makes them look photoshopped its really nice. I've heard some people say theres a little bit of shimmer in this... I don't see that. I think you could probably bake with this if you bake... people compare it to the Laura Mercier powder... I'm not gonna try that because I'm not Beyonce and this works fine... This is also what I used with that concealer as a primer.

BTW whenever I can't afford something I just say "I'm not Beyonce." I feel like if you've seen pictures of me and you've seen pictures of Beyonce... you probably realize I am not Beyonce... but its just basically a polite way of saying I don't have a job. Beyonce is of corse the only person with a job... so that is why I refer to Beyonce in this aspect. Also I like her better than the Kardashians. So I'm not going to be like "I'm not Kim Kardashian." Because why would I do that when I like Beyonce better... Lol.

Anyway... speaking of Elf HD they also have a loose translucent powder that I like a lot too. It doesn't cake up or look bad. Its nice.

As for pressed powders... I don't know the difference between any. I have dry skin, so I don't powder very much... but I think you're safe with any of them? I'd just get a compact one... with or without coverage... idk. Idk what you want. Lol. But for beginners maybe the Rimmel Stay Matte? I've never used this, but it seems pretty universally well received.

Contour 
The Elf Contour Kit is AMAZING! I don't love contouring, so this is all that I really need. It makes it so easy too. Theres a contour, that is pretty universal. A bronzer that isn't too orange or anything, there's a shimmery highlight and one you could kind of set your eyes with... but this is pretty great!

Blush 
Milani Baked Blushes... these are absolutely amazing. I have Luminoso and Berry Amore. These feel amazing and you don't really need a highlight with either one for these. They just go on soo well. They're pigmented and you really cannot beat these. High end, drugstore... these are the best.

Highlight 
If you want a really really shimmery highlight, the Wild and Radiant palette from BH Cosmetics is really nice and pretty. There is a dupe for Becca's Opal in this... and I think this is maybe even more shimmery than that one!

There are also some nice golden bronzers in here that work good as an all in one type of thing. A blush, highlight bronzer thing. They give a nice rosy glow. I like them too.

And the Elf Baked Highlighters. These are $3. They have 3 really nice shades, one is a total dupe for Mac's Soft and Gentle... just really really great.

Bronzer 
So there aren't many bronzers I love from the drugstore. There's an Elf Cream blush and bronzer that I really like. Its a great cream contour. The Makeup Revolution bronzer is pretty nice too. NYC Sunny is nice, and Maybelline Hi-Light Bronzer in Light Bronze is nice.

Setting Spray 
The Elf Mist and Set is pretty nice actually. I would say I like my L'oreal one a little better and the Pixi Glow mist is also good... but those are super expensive... and idk. If you want to just buy a setting spray just to try it... I'd go with the Elf Mist and Set and then if L'oreal, Pixi or Maybelline is on sale... grab those.

Pixi's glow mist is about the same price as Mac Fix Plus I think... but I guess it is more accessible than the Mac Fix Plus... so yeah. I've never tried the Mac one.

So that is it. I've decided to cut this into different parts... so I'll do eye makeup, lipsticks and brushes in other parts... and I'll probably do other starter kits too. I was thinking a high end, a colourpop and maybe even a cruelty free... idk. We'll see! But expect the eye Makeup Drugstore Starter kit...sometime soon!

Maybe this is too many things for a Starter Kit... but I wanted to make sure to have a lot of variety and I want to make sure its something good for everyone. Obviously you don't need all of these things, but I just wanted to give options and I thought having more options for eyes and lips would be fun too, especially with all the trends and stuff... I want to keep up with it.

Byeeee!
-Shannon


Comments