Drugstore Brushes I used in Todays look+ the "Learn From My Mistakes"

So... I just realized I didn't finish everything I was writing in my Drugstore Prom Look so I'm going to write about the brushes I used and what mistakes I made and how you can learn from them.

Brushes 
So for the face I used the Up and Up. I feel like I have a love hate relationship with this brush... well I want to love it... but I kind of hate it. And thats sad cause I love Up and Up brushes and I really like Drugstore brushes... but nothing beats the Tarte Airbrush brush... that brush is my favorite brush of life I would say and its hard for me to find a drugstore brush that does what that does because my skin is pretty dry and most brushes look a little streaky on me... so yeah.

I switched to the Real Techniques Total Face Brush after that... which I like a little bit better. Idk if I would say this is the best for foundation necessarily, but it works. I'm not a "Baker" lol I just don't do it... but I think you could use this for that... maybe. Maybe not. I should try baking someday... ugh.

I used the Up and Up Blush Brush for my blush. This is a great brush, especially for blushes that are a bit more stiff. I love using this with the Tarte blushes and its good with the Milani Rose blush that I used here too.

For highlight I think I used the Real Techniques fan brush... that was in a sculpting kit from real techniques that I don't think is available anymore... but they bring that kit back from time to time. If not, you could use something like the Real Techniques Setting Brush... or any fan brush.

For eyes, I actually used the brush that came with the milani palette and my fingers. The brushes in here are totally not useless! I really liked it. I used the flat side to pack on the Crushed shadow and the fluffy side for the crease... it was really good. And of corse with really pigmented single shadows like this... it always helps to use your fingers.

Ohhh and I spray the brush before using it on my face. I just use the Maybelline Setting Spray.


Mistakes 
So the first big mistake I made... and it was big... I used wayy too much foundation. Its really hard to get the foundation out because it isn't in a pump or a squeeze tube... and I didn't want to waste the foundation... which was kinda stupid. I am usually quite careful. I just pour some out on the back of my hand, dot some on my cheeks, forehead, nose, chin and upper lip. Then I spray my brush and blend it out.

Also... the brush! I thought I liked this brush better than I did... but I didn't. I have dry skin and it would have been better to use the Real Techniques sponge or any generic sponge. Or to go over it with that because it will help the streakiness. I don't see the point in spending $20 on a sponge... I've had a beauty blender and I liked it... but it didn't last me as long and its not worth $20... so yeah. Just use a makeup sponge of some sort... if you have dry skin especially. If your oily, they still work... but I feel like for dry skin it makes a huge difference. And really, if you invest in one makeup item... the Tarte Airbrush foundation buffing brush is not a bad investment.

I think I could have mixed the crease colors together better or spent a little more time blending... or just have used one of the colors. I really liked the way it looked... but I think it didn't look that well blended.

And this isn't really a mistake... but a common mistake I make now and that I used to make is blush. Blush is hard guys... that's why I chose this Milani Rose blush in Romantic Rose. It isn't overly pigmented to the point where it can look crazy really fast. If you want to avoid it looking too heavy, just use a really large fluffy brush.

Another mistake was that I used too much powder. I don't think it showed up too badly... but it felt heavy.

And not so much a mistake but a warning... the glitter in the Revlon Eye Art Duos transfers a tiny bit... and its hard to get off. I think it might be easy to if you have a spooly or something... so maybe get a spooly and bring it in your purse just in case.

Also... I don't do brows of false lashes... that should be noted... you totally can if you want to... but my brows are thick and my lashes are long and sensitive... so I'm okay without them. If you want a better tutorial of how to expand your lashes without wearing falsies or using fibers or anything, check out the awesome EmilyNoel83's how to expand your lashes without using falsies tutorial.

So yeah... those are my little additional tips. Also I think I'm going to have a tip on how to apply liquid lipstick in an easy way... but I think I need to work on that more. Maybe I'll do a "tips and hacks" video.

Hope this helped! Sorry for not including it before!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments