Review: Milani Eye Palettes

So I have some mixed feelings on these milani palettes. I've used them about 3 times. I have the shades Bare Necessities and Earthy Elements... and here are my thoughts.

Initial Swatching Thoughts 
These swatch amazingly. I think in Earthy Elements the Shimmer shade that is the first in the palette barely shows up... and they each have their dud shades... but they swatch really pigmented, the mattes swatch really well and all together its just good.

First Look... 
So the first time I used the palettes I used Bare Necessities. The shimmer shade that is the first in the palette swatched so amazingly well that I could not believe it... but I used all of the shades in the palette together... and they looked pretty terrible. They did not layer very well together... they looked muddy... they didn't layer together very well... and they didn't last very long... so that was kind of an issue. I wasn't feeling this.

Second Look
I used an elf smudge pot for my second look and I used some of the colors in Earthy Elements. I think the cream shadow underneath these helped them cling onto my eye a little better. I didn't think this lasted all that well to be honest... but it wore off pretty nicely. I was like "meh I don't like the way these look together, but I really ended up liking the way the look turned out. It wasn't spectacular... but it was pretty good. I think I like Earthy Elements a little bit better than Bare Necessities.

Third Look... 
So this time I just used this as an addition to a single shadow... I really liked how that worked. I used the Palladio Crushed shadows all over the lid and then I used one of the shimmery brown colors on the outer half and I used the 2 matte colors from Earthy Elements in the crease. And I liked the look a lot. I was actually really impressed how this was a sister to the single shadow. I used a cream shadow with this also... and I do think that helped a lot. I think that is the best way to use these palettes... all the shades are usable... but they don't work well together because they just end up looking muddy.


Why this palette is different 
While I don't think these are the absolute best palettes in the world... they definitely have a place and serve an important purpose.

First off... this is a good drugstore palette that I don't think is for beginners. While I think its great that there are palettes like the Wet n Wild Comfort Zone Palette and the Covergirl palettes and things are great and beginner friendly... its nice that they came out with something people that aren't beginners can use too... you know. I think it was pretty fun to figure out how exactly these palettes worked... so that is pretty cool.

Secondly... these are pretty unique palettes in general. Not just from the drugstore... but there aren't many matte orange shades in palettes and they have quite a variety of different colors. It isn't just nudes, but you can buy one that is just a nude palette like the Bare Necessities. I think that is pretty cool.

Thirdly... there aren't many affordable palettes at the drugstore that are cruelty free, and also not owned by a parent company that tests. Its hard enough to find Cruelty Free products at the drugstore... but there really aren't any great affordable cruelty free palettes. Nyx is mostly more expensive... they have some palettes around the same price... but they are owned by a parent company that tests and some people don't like that. There's Pixi and Sonia Kashuk... but those are also more expensive. Physicians Formula (don't know if they are owned by a parent company that tests... sorry) but... but they don't have mattes. Pacifica is also more expensive... so I think that is pretty good that this is a decent cruelty free palette from the drugstore.

Ohhh Elf has great palettes too... but I don't think all of their palettes are available in stores. The Prism palettes are and I love the Sunset prism palette... but again there are no mattes in that... so its a little harder.

And it is good to have something to go with single shadows and cream shadows because there are so many good cream shadows and single shadows at the drugstore... or even high end, that this makes sense to have a palette just for that.

Final Verdict 
I don't really think I needed these palettes to be honest... I regret buying them both just a little bit... I know I don't have the receipt and I don't really feel like returning them... and I'm not 100% recommending them just because they aren't very easy to use. If you have a lot of single shadows or a lot of cream shadows and you're okay with using a few different shadows or a few different palettes in your look... this is good for that and that's what I'll use them for. If you're looking for something that meets all the qualifications I just mentioned, then go for it... if you're kind of hesitant... I'd just pass on these.

I really like the third look I did and I think I'm going to end up really liking these palettes just for that reason... but in my opinion... I'd pass on these and get the Covergirl Palettes instead. I like those palettes a little bit better and I just feel like those are worth $12 (idk if they're $12... I'd say $12 is a fair price for them.) I think if you're curious and this is buy one get one half or there's some sort of deal on them... Earthy Elements is good and I've heard the purple palette is really good too. They have amazing blushes also so get a blush and one of these palettes. Also BH Cosmetics is a really good inexpensive brand that is worth checking out if you want a good quality palette that is cheap. The Carli Bybel Palette is awesome!

Oh and the brush that comes in these is not bad! The fluffier "crease" side is pretty usable and I like the way the flat side applied the Palladio crushed shadow

So those are all of my thoughts about these palettes. I hope you liked this review! I feel like these are one of the things I've had kinda mixed feelings about and pretty strong feelings... lol. Jeffree Star said a true makeup artist can make anything work and he's totally right. I don't think of myself as like "a true makeup artist" but don't be snobby about drugstore products... they usually won't be as good as high end... but not everyone wants to buy expensive makeup... not everyone wants to buy drugstore makeup. Either way, its okay... just don't judge people or be snobby about it. Lol.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments